Saturday, April 25, 2009

Mom's new teeth


Sometime in Mar 09, Mom told me that some of her teeth on the upper side are shaky. She told me that she was going to remove all her teeth on the upper side and put in new dentures. I wasn't sure if that was a good idea but guess she knows best.

On one of the days when I went home to visit her (we don't have a regular visiting schedule to mom's unlike many other Singaporeans), she has already had all her teeth on the upper side removed. She was so conscious of how she might look that she kept covering her mouth when talking to me. I felt like such a lousy daughter. I wasn't even there for her when she got her teeth (I think 5 of them) removed. She told me later that it had to be done in 2 different sessions and after the first one, one side of her face swell up so badly that she could not eat. I felt awful.

But I did nothing, except to call her more regularly to see if she was ok.

On my next visit, I think it was early Apr 09, she said that she was worried that her dentures won't be done on time for her trip to Genting on 27 Apr 09. I comforted her by saying that I am sure it will turn out alright and that I will pray for her. But again, I did nothing much.

I did not wonder if she would feel ashame to go to the market to buy food without her teeth. I did not wonder if she had food to eat. I did not wonder if she was eating well.

Some days later, I did wonder, so I bought some cod fish and digestive biscuits - some of the 'soft' food that I thought people without teeth will be able to eat.

Again, my concern for my mother ended there.

Since she 'grounded' herself at home, I did not try to go home more often to keep her company. I did not do marketing for her so that she did not have to do it.

I am glad to tell you that she has now gotten her new dentures and it fits her well. We went out for a nice meal to celebrate and she showed off her new dentures by eating peanuts. That must have felt good :-)

After this incident, I realise that no matter how much you love your children and how much they love you, the children can never out-love their mother's love for them.

Similarly, we cannot love God more than His love for us.

I have got to make more effort and time to love my mother. Afterall, I only have one parent left to love.

Let me think about ways which I could love my mother:

a. spend more time with her
b. bring grandchildren to see her more often
c. give her more money
d. give her more money
e. give her more money

I can't think of anythings else :-(

Love and expect nothing in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment